EngenuitySC: It's the #IgniteCAE pic of the week! Our next shindig is #ScienceCafeCAE, next Tues, June 11, at @Speakeasy5pts https://t.co/SlplYS8OrR
What is the Ignite! Ideas Contest?
The annual Ignite! Ideas Contest, now in it’s second year, is a public competition open to individuals and organizations with ideas about how to start something in the Midlands. We're looking to reward individuals that don't just identify an opportunity, they seize it. You'll compete to win $5,000 in prizes by submitting a two minute video clip pitching your idea and addressing two big questions:
1. What is the need or challenge that you have identified? This should be specific to Columbia - something currently impacting or missing from the community that, if changed, could have a positive influence, and;
2. What is your tangible solution to solve this challenge and incite positive change? This should be realistic, attainable, and actionable. It could be ideas to create or grow a new business, kick off a new public initiative or project, or support a social cause. Anything goes, as long as there is a clear path to execution and implementation.
Who is on the judging panel?
Once you submit your video, Columbia's top grassroots leaders and entrepreneurs will take over the process. We’re still cooking up our final group for this year, but last year’s panelists included:
· Dan Cook, Editor at The Free Times
· Andy Smith, Executive Director of the Nickelodeon Theatre
· Barbara Blau, President of DP Professionals
· Heather Mitchell, Principal at the Boudreaux Group
· Katherine Swartz, Executive Director of Columbia Opportunity Resource
· Katie Fox of TedX Columbia and Director of Theater Operations at Midlands Technical College
· John Denise of Advanced Automation Consulting (AAC)
So, what’s in it for me?
By submitting an entry to the Ignite! Ideas Contest, you’re taking the first step toward real implementation and execution. Just by submitting a video you’re putting your idea in front of a very sharp panel of local movers and shakers. And should you be one of the lucky three to make the final cut, you’re guaranteed a spotlight in front of 500 of the most influential and passionate people in our community. Who knows who you might inspire to get involved...
If you win, you’ll receive cold hard cash, $5000, to kickstart your new venture.
I’m sold. How do I enter again?
This unique opportunity only comes around once a year, and we’re thrilled you want to be a part of “starting something” in Columbia!
Here’s what you need to do next:
1. First and foremost, spend some time brainstorming your idea and answering the questions above. Make sure your idea is clear, actionable and realistic.
2. Let your creative juices flow when planning and filming your video. This is your primary mechanism for delivering your concept - make yours unique!
3. Submit your completed, two-minute video by the deadline of October 19th.
4. Be sure to complete the form found here to submit along with your video.
Most importantly, get everyone you know to purchase a ticket so they can come cheer you on and vote for you!